Thursday, February 18, 2010

Are skipping-heart beats dangerous, even when the docs say it's clear and fine?

I seem to get skipped-heart beats pretty regularly, and sometimes when it happens I feel a little dizzy or feel tingling/pains in that part of the chest, etc, but when I went to my cardiologist, had lots of ekg's, and even had a monitor,





it all came back that my heart was in ';perfect,'; condition.








Perhaps getting colds/sick every now and then, stress, foods, ...things of that nature can trigger a skipped heart beat or two?





What really causes hearts to skip beats, and is it truly nothing to worry about?





I mean, can the heart skip a beat, and not know how to go back to it's regular rhythm, and just keep skipping and...malfunction?





Or will it ALWAYS go back to normal?Are skipping-heart beats dangerous, even when the docs say it's clear and fine?
I have seen several cardiologist, the first thing I say to you is even though one said ALL is FINE, if you still feel hmmm... then get a second opinion.


I have learned, most PVC. and PAC's (skipped beats) are normal. We can somtimes control them with our diet, stress, and exersize. Coffee, soda, beer ect...


In my case the last and current doc, is spot on! Though all echo's show winthin normal limits and holter showed few PVC's...


His conclusion is... IF your symptoms are bothersome, why not treat.


This is not the case for everyone, but for me it has been the difference in sleeping at night. He put me on a low dose (50mg) of Flecanaide. Which is an anti-arrythmia medication. Since I have been on it, (almost 2 years) I rarely feel my palpatations. I find that when I am in good shape (when I exersize and eat right) my heart feels even better, so I notice the difference.


Most docs I have come across have never heard of this medication, so it is not widely used, I am sure it is not without some risk as all meds, but it's quality of life that counts, not the beats that I sit there and count wondering if I am dying...





Also have them check your thyroid and Adrenal gland, those where his first things to rule out! He runs blood test before every appt.


He was named one of LOS ANGELES top Heart Doc's and I know why! I wish I had found him years ago.


Good luck..Are skipping-heart beats dangerous, even when the docs say it's clear and fine?
I was born with a heart murmur that didn't require surgery. As I've gotten older I've noticed my heart skips a beat several times a day. Doctor's have said it is normal and nothing is wrong. Sometimes I get pressure around my heart as if it takes in the blood, but doesn't allow it to flow out...still everything is normal and I don't worry about it.
I would listen to your cardiologist. Often what you feel as a skip is actually an extra beat. It's too close to the one before and allows a pause before the next. Still your doctor is the expert. Trust him.
bad reflux can feel like a skipped beat i have reflux and before i knew that it was reflux i was tested heaps all was fine and than after further investigation it was found out that i had reflux
First, skipped beats are normal. Everybody has them.





That said, there are conditions that are problems that include, skipped or irregular heartbeats. Most become more noticeable over time, and many require some treatment. Treatments can include taking an aspirin to reduce the change of clots during times of inefficient heart activity, medication to restrict extremely high heart rates, ablation to kill the nerve triggers for irregular rhythms, to open heart surgery.





Most are no big deal. Your doctor has no reason to tell you there is no problem if there is.





Keep watching it, see the doctor, and try not to worry about it beyond that (It's not easy). Worrying about can take over your life, and the more deeply ingrained it is, the harder it will be to come to peace with it.





Note: I am not a doctor, just someone with a similar experience.
Palpitations are sensation in the heart usually described as skipping, racing or pounding heart beat. Occasional heart palpitations are often harmless and may only appear during stressful situations and events. Caffeine, smoking and emotions such as fear, panic, anxiety can precipitate palpitations.





However, heart palpitations may also be related to some cardiovascular conditions such as arrhythmia and valvular heart disease which require further assessment and diagnostic procedures.





here are some helpful links for further reading from reliable sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment