Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Went to the ER last night...am I cleared for heart problems?

I went to the ER last night because I woke up just not feeling good (fullness, left underarm pain, lightheadedness as if I was about to faint, heart pounding fast).





I got there and they immediately hooked me up to check my blood pressure and it was high and my heart rate was almost at 100. I got an EKG done, chest X-ray and blood tests. After a while, they let me go, stating that everything seemed to be stress-related (I have been under a lot and have had anxiety attacks, which they said was what I had). They said my EKG was high and that if something was wrong with that and my X-ray, they would have told me.





Can I finally rest assured that my heart is fine? I have been paranoid about it for a while now cuz my dad died from cardiomyopathy and I have been worrying that I'll get it and it felt like a huge load off of my shoulders after I got my tests done and my 'attack' stopped and I haven't felt bad since. Is this just anxiety messing with my mind?Went to the ER last night...am I cleared for heart problems?
it is very likely that you have had another anxiety attack. i think you may have this specific condition called hypochondriasis, you're too concerned with your health and that triggers the anxiety.


it is common to have high blood pressure and fast heart rate during the attack.


i think you can be sure that you don't have any heart attack. the blood test for heart attack is sensitive, therefore if it is negative, it's unlikely you have had one.


to be sure, it's good to maintain healthy lifestyle and if you're concerned, go have a check up with your doctor regularly (ev 6 mths) and get some blood pressure and blood test (full blood and for cholestrol) done.Went to the ER last night...am I cleared for heart problems?
Not everything is anxiety


see your reg doctor


not to many people panic while sleeping lol
I was having chest pains for about 3 years before I had to wear a heart moniter for 48 hours to figure out what was going on. It turned out that I had mitral valve prolapse (floppy valve) and tachycardia (rapid heart beat). My normal heart rate is 98 beats per minute and that was determined normal for me. I, inturn, have a higher blood pressure. The ECG I later had showed the mitral valve prolapse. Go to your family doctor and ask about wearing a heart monitor and getting another ECG.
If the ER let you out without telling you that you were fine then your fine... Geez have another anxiety attack just talking about anxiety attacks!
The only people who can answer that question are the doctors who examined you.
All of your symptoms can be explained by normal reactions caused by adrenalin that is released when someone is scared or having an anxiety attack. Recognize that the reactions to adrenalin (rapid pulse and breathing rates, elevated blood pressure, shaky feeling in limbs, nausea, light headedness) are not a health risk. All of this is unrelated to the condition of your heart, but its is very common for people that have anxiety attacks to subconsciously exaggerate unimportant symptoms -its often the reason for the anxiety attacks in the first place.





If you want to know the condition of your heart, you need to get a blood test and also have a stress test such as the treadmill.
Sound like anxiety. In general cardiomyopathy is not inherited. A lot of things cause this from virus, to alcohol, to medications, to....well the list is never ending and sometimes they just don't know what causes it. And the ER Doc would not have let you go if the blood results and EKG looked fine. And anxiety does mess with blood pressure, think about the fight or flight response in overdrive, that is anxiety.
Classic anxiety attack, you have been paranoid about having heart problems and your mind worked you up pretty good.
You said your EKG was high. That was probably a typo. It is not unusual for blood pressure to be high with anxiety but you should have it checked periodically to insure it is not a chronic problem. An EKG could show whether you were having a myocardial infarction (MI) (also known as a heart attack) or whether you had one in the future. By itself, it would not be able to predict whether you are at risk for a future MI.





None of the tests performed on you would specifically rule out vascular problems that could lead to an MI or predict your risk for future problems. You may want to make an appointment with a cardiologist and have a full cardiology work-up.





One other factor is age. Your risk of heart problems increases with age. If you are extremely young it is less likely that your symptoms are due to coronary artery disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment